Wednesday, January 2, 2013
I am big on New Year's resolutions. In fact, I've been making them (and recording them) just about every year since I was 8. Not kidding here. Of course, over time these resolutions change; last year's resolution was about stopping to remember the little things. I think we accomplished that successfully. Between my sister's wedding, our time apart, our joint move to NYC, and even little everyday moments.
This year I thought about the resolutions I wanted to make. Some are personal, some are professional, and some are blog-related. Personally, I want to be more in 2013. Lately I've been thinking a lot about my past and my best memories. One thing they all have in common is most are events, trips, or even small moments that happened spontaneously or outside of my comfort zone. I want to push myself beyond my boundaries this year and prove to myself just how much MORE I can be.
John and I are planning our first trip abroad which will be part of it - but even in everyday life. Going a different way home from work, taking a Saturday trip to the zoo (rather than food shopping), all these little things we keep saying we should "do" (go to a ball game, a Broadway play, a farmer's market) that we never get to because "life" is there. The cleaning, the cooking...all that will be there tomorrow. I want to learn more, do more, and just be more. This dovetails nicely into my blog-related resolution.
John and I put our heads together to come up with 10 new recipes we want to try this year! We'd love to hear if you've tried them before, if you want to try them with us, or other things you want to try in 2013! They might not all be successful, and I'm okay with that - in my quest to be more, I might take a lot of falls, but there's something in that, too. I'll learn how many times I can get back up.
- Raviolis - COMPLETED
- Pasta Puttanesca - COMPLETED!
- Teriyaki Beef Skewers - These are one of John's favorite appetizers when we go out for Chinese food. This recipe by Serious Eats has long been propogated by John's love of the dish but I've yet to make it. When I asked him to add a few dishes to the list, this was the first one he said!
- Adana Kebabs - Is it any surprise that most of John's choices are meats?! Haha, that is certainly my boyfriend! One of John's uncles is Turkish and he made these kebabs for him a few times a year. Now that we all live far away, John hasn't had any in years. We saw his uncle over the Christmas holiday to Maine but alas, no kebabs were distributed. I couldn't take his disappointed face...I promised to make them, and so, on the list they went! I still have to find a good recipe for them, though.
- Steak Diane- This one is dedicated to grandma Awa who said that her favorite dinner EVER is Steak Diane. I had never heard of it before but we looked it up when Mom told me. This version by Emeril Lagasse is absolutely heavenly sounding and with her 80th Birthday coming up fast, I can't think of a better way to celebrate!
- Bagels - COMPLETED!
- Chocolate Croissants - This is a "me" staple! John knows anytime we go ANYWHERE that has a chocolate croissant, I am picking it up. When done right, the croissant is flaky and delicious and the chocolate inside just breathes life into your mouth. Good morning!
- Peanut Butter Cup Pie - this recipe from Cinnamon, Spice, and Everything Nice, looks so amazing that I think it would be a great sweet treat for John. What a good girlfriend I would be...
- Grasshopper Tart - COMPLETED!
- Black and White Cookies - Smitten Kitchen's Black and White Cookies look and sound amazing. I feel like you cannot live in New York and not be able to make these cookies; sure they're time intensive but they are also show stopping!
Our best wishes to you and your families for a happy and healthy 2013!
Until the next time my oven is on...
Welcome! I'm Dani (aka the Growing Foodie), just a girl balancing her career and passion for all things edible in NYC. I hope you'll join me in my adventures in life, through food. (Click for More)
Powered by Blogger.